- Tennessee Supreme Court (1978)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee (1979)
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee (1997)
- United States Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit (1981)
- United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit (2003)
- United States Supreme Court (1987)
- Pro hac vice
o United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama (Birmingham) (2001)
o United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana (Indianapolis) (2001)
o United States District Court for the District of Oregon (2002)
o United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (2001)
o United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York (2003)
He grew up in Martin, Tennessee, and graduated from the University of Tennessee at Martin in 1975 and the University of Tennessee College of Law in 1978. He is a 1996 graduate of the Gerry Spence Trial Lawyer’s College near Dubois, Wyoming. He lives in Knoxville with his wife, Mary Alice, their two children, José and Tono, their dog Snoopy and a bearded dragon named Dakota.
Note to Volunteer football fans: Mr. Vowell’s grandfather, Morris Vowell, played tackle on the U.T. football team and was named All Southern in 1916. He holds the Tennessee record for the third longest intercepted pass return (99 yards). He played side-by-side with his brother, Graham Vowell, who played end, and was also named All Southern, and was inducted into the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame in 2018.